Words & Banter

Just Three Words But So Important … Happy Father’s Day

Photo by IrisImages on iStock

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Every Father's Day, when I think of Daddy, there are so many great memories, and especially because he worked from home. He taught me about unconditional love and was always there for me. Both literally and figuratively. And even though he passed away over 20 years ago, the memories are as strong, both emotionally and "visually", as if it was just yesterday. Which is why he'll always be such an important part of my life.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Did you know that Father's Day was, in many ways, a form of "equal rights" for dads since Mother's Day was already in existence? And quickly, thanks to the clothing industry, became more of a "retail holiday" (which would explain why ties are one of the most popular gifts on Father's Day). But, ties aside, there are so many ways to celebrate the day.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I should've known that you'd avoid all warm and fuzzy aspects of the holiday!

Please take a few moments and enjoy these great quotes about dads, many of which are from dads. And for fathers everywhere, we wish you a wonderful and happy Father's Day, and hope you'll continue to create new memories that will last a lifetime.

Photo by OnTheRunPhoto for iStock

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I keep getting emails about where to go for mocktails. I know alcohol-free cocktails, like Virgin Margaritas, have been around for a while, but I’d never heard that term before. Do you think it has to do with New Year’s resolutions?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It can if any of your resolutions are to lose weight, save money, sleep better. Or, drink less. Psychologically, January is the month when we “reset”, so a UK-based organization, Alcohol Change UK, started Dry January, where you abstain from drinking alcohol.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Perfect timing since many people shop, eat, and drink more than usual over the holidays.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you used to drink a glass of Cold Duck on New Year’s Eve, a tradition going back to our childhood, but that hardly counts as drinking. But, I have always wondered why you rarely drink, but never asked.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by bhofack2 for iStock

Popcorn! Quite simply, it’s one of my absolute favorite things. Starting when I was a child, whenever I went to the movies, I’d get (and finish!) the largest bucket of popcorn available. And I always thought movie popcorn was far superior to what you could make at home … until a recent trip to visit a close friend in Tennessee, and she introduced me to Great Northern Popcorn (I promise this isn’t a paid ad). Now I’m addicted to it as I can make it on my cooktop. I know Black would be more interested in the science of what makes popcorn pop, but I prefer to just be obsessive about my popcorn …

Popcorn. Just the thought of popcorn makes me smile, makes me want to indulge, makes me happy. And I’m guessing my popcorn obsession makes Black roll her eyes (although she might admit it can be a healthy snack). However, plenty of people must love popcorn as much as I do. Why else would there be a National Popcorn Day?!

Over the past few years, the pandemic posed challenges that none of us could’ve foreseen (and I’ll never forget the dedication of the front-line workers or make light of the sacrifices so many had to make). But part of me has to laugh at the irony because it ended my seemingly easy “escape” from the stresses of life – going to the movies and enjoying the largest bucket of popcorn – when I needed it the most.

You’re going to roll your eyes, but lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about myself.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That is totally out of character, unless you are thinking of New Year’s resolutions.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, no. For decades, my priorities, and therefore my life, have always been focused on the girls and Mom. But that’s all changing. And I’m not sure how to “change” with it.
Keep Reading ...Show less