Design by Sawyer Pennington

People have told us they're using our sisterly banter to start conversations with others (family, friends, and even in classrooms), so Black created "Conversation Starters". Stay tuned as we'll be introducing new topics on a regular basis!

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

In some ways it seems like decades ago that my husband got fired, in other ways it seems like yesterday. I felt then so many of the same emotions that people are going through today due to the coronavirus. I was so scared. And unprepared. At the time, I thought he'd work for the company where he had been for years until he retired, and by then we'd have a second home and would live happily ever after. I never thought anything would change that plan. Everything was perfect, until my life, literally overnight, became a living nightmare.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, and as I told you at the time … you needed to calm down. I said that a lot. Still do. Anyway, I remember telling you to take a deep breath … and that you would get through it. And, you did. Although you constantly questioned whether you had the ability to do so.

THE CONVERSATION STARTERS
  • Your life can change in an instant. Can you be prepared? How can you plan for the unknown?
  • What are other unplanned life events?
Design by Sawyer Pennington

People have told us they're using our sisterly banter to start conversations with others (family, friends, and even in classrooms), so Black created "Conversation Starters". Stay tuned as we'll be introducing new topics on a regular basis!

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you don't like to look back, but humor me. Years ago, when my husband got fired, do you remember how I struggled with having him home ALL the time, plus all the stress and emotions of the situation? And the fear of the unknown? Well, thanks to the pandemic, I feel like it's happening all over again! However, this time, I'm a single mom and it's not only impacting the girls but also Mom. I know this is an extremely difficult time for all of us, but I feel like no one understands the pressure I'm under. Especially as I'm trying to "hold it all together" for everyone! And before you say anything … I'm not asking for sympathy, because we all know you don't "do" sympathy.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, I do not think that you want sympathy. I think you want empathy. You want me – and others – to understand how you are feeling. Not to feel sorry for you. And, I venture to guess everyone you are dealing with feels the same way. The pandemic is affecting people in many different ways – health concerns, financial problems, the loss of routine, loneliness, the list goes on-and-on. The fact you are typically warm and fuzzy, means you are probably even more emotional than usual. Which makes it especially challenging – for you, and all of us around you.

THE CONVERSATION STARTERS
  • What's the difference between sympathy and empathy?
  • When your significant other, family member, friend, or co-worker are going through something major, how can you be helpful and work together vs. driving each other crazy?

Over the years (and much to our surprise), we've found that many of the ideas and approaches Black developed to help Red deal with an assortment of topics are resonating with people. (Red will be the first to tell you that Black sees things differently than most people … while Black just sees herself as extremely pragmatic.) It may be because many are what Red describes as "instantly actionable" items, while others may only get you to stop and think. But that, too, is a good thing. So, we created the Learning For Life section and will be introducing new topics every week.

Conversation Starters

People have told us they've used our sisterly banter on various topics (whether from our Banter Bites, monthly columns, book, speaking engagements, or even just conversations they've had with us) to start conversations with others (both personally and professionally). So, we've developed "Conversation Starters."

Old Favorites

This site was quickly developed in response to requests for more Red & Black content, so we've been busy creating new content. But we haven't forgotten the "Tools For Taking Control" that were popular on our old website (such as Green Sheets, Black's Track Map, and Black's Weekly Planner), and we'll get those updated and posted.

New Items

We've been listening when you told us how helpful our checklists and worksheets have been, so we're in the midst of turning presentation slides, workbook pages, and even items from our middle school and high school curricula, into easy-to-use and (hopefully) effective tools.

Stay tuned! We're working to provide you with information and tools we hope you'll not only enjoy and find useful, but will want to share. Register on the "sticky bar" at the bottom of the page so you'll be the first to receive new content!