Curiosity question: Since Sawyer is 17, I know that she is too old to be a camper at Heart O' the Hills this summer, but is she planning to be a Heart-Lite?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Where have the years gone?! It seems like only yesterday that we had to convince them to let her attend when she was "almost six" and now she's old enough to be an assistant counselor.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

True, but that does not answer my question.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

She submitted the application and a phone interview has been scheduled. But what prompted your question?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I received an email from them describing their new leadership team, including some of this summer's counselors, and I thought about the great resume value for those individuals.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

That's not why Sawyer's doing it. She just loves camp – the activities and the friends she's made, especially the "little ones" that she got to be "big sister" to. From the very beginning, she's always talked about hoping to be a counselor one day.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I have always been impressed by her ability – and passion – to teach and to mentor, whether at camp, at volleyball, or with the Special Olympics team. And, even though I only attend a few volleyball games each year, her leadership skills are very obvious. No wonder she has been named team captain the last two years.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Funny you say that, as other parents have commented to me about that, too. I know that as her mom I'm biased, but I'm so proud of her this year. Not only is she "playing up" and on the team for 18-year-olds and developing her technical skills, but she's really excelling at strategic thinking and team-building.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

From what you have told me, she is extremely dependable and her teammates trust and rely on her. That is critical. As are the ability to communicate and resolve conflict.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

She seems to have all those traits, although I can't take any credit for them. She must have been born that way. Not to mention, she didn't inherit her athletic skills from me, either.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I do not have the time for a nature versus nurture conversation, but hard work and focused efforts can go a long way.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Maybe in terms of athletics, but I think being a leader is something you're naturally born to be or not.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I disagree. I think it is easier to learn to be a good leader than to be a good athlete.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Then explain why I was more of a natural at golf than you, but you ended up a better golfer.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Because I needed it to advance my career. So, I took lessons and worked at it. Plus, I am much more competitive than you.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Now there's an understatement. But you're definitely a natural leader.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I have to disagree again. After business school, I did well in positions where I worked independently. I could analyze any situation, spit out a bunch of ideas and suggestions, and get them implemented. But, then I wanted to move to the next assignment. Unfortunately, rather than using me as in-house consultant, I was promoted into management.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Wasn't that a good thing?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Except that I was totally unprepared.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

So, what did you do?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I looked around the company and found senior management that I admired and respected. Then, I emulated their style and approach.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Are you saying that you pretended to be someone you weren't?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Have you never heard the adage, "Fake it until you make it?" There is actually science supporting the concept, but the interesting part is that, along the way, I learned the difference between management and leadership.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

There's a difference?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Managing is telling people what to do, how to do it, and then expecting them to do it. Leading is showing by example. Would you rather follow someone or "obey" them? I witnessed that the true leaders were open to ideas, they were patient and empathetic, and they provided timely communication, effective feedback, and positive reinforcement. All powerful traits that can be learned.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, I have to tell you, based on your description, most of the volleyball coaches I've seen over the years have been managers, not leaders.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I would be interested to know if that is a function of the level of the team. Is there a difference in coaching style when you get to the best nationally ranked club teams? What about at the collegiate level?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Good questions. I'd guess having better players helps, too.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, but even with "better" employees, just demanding them to "do better" will not get the same result as inspiring them to do so. Funny thing is that I was just trying to do my job better, but by helping them do their jobs better, we all benefited.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, it sounds like Sawyer's leadership skills will one day be invaluable in the workplace. But I'd love to know where she learned them.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Probably from you.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Seriously? I find it very hard to believe that you think of me as a leader.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Do you demand things of the girls? Or, do you ask and then take the time to explain why? Do you follow through on the expectations and rules you have set? Do you take responsibility for your actions and expect them to do the same? Do you provide them with positive feedback or only just find fault? Even when you think you are right, are you willing to listen not only to their perspective, but also their ideas and suggestions? Are you willing to admit when you are wrong? Shall I continue?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

No! You made your point. I guess I just see these as good mom skills, not leadership traits.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

But, it is not an either-or situation. Those same traits can be used to be successful at home, at work, even as a volunteer. Think about the parents who are part of the PTA or who are little league coaches. Leadership skills are transferable. And, definitely can be learned, and taught.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Wow, I never realized there are so many similarities between leadership and parenting. But I can see where they're each both challenging, yet highly rewarding.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Agree, but I would venture to guess that parenting is much more difficult.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Now, that I was never expecting.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Whatever.

Turkey and all the trimmings? Celebrating with family and friends? Football games? Black Friday shopping plans? This year's Thanksgiving Day plans and memories will be very different, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Or, at least, that's what Red decides after talking with Black in this month's column, Red & Black … What Would The Pilgrims Do?

Why should you be interested in a January column in November? Because, as you might expect in a January column, most people, including Red, would stroll down memory lane. And in 2020, it wasn't only the prior year, but also the prior decade. But, not Black.In Red & Black … Seeing In 2020, you'll discover her unique perspective that's relevant every day of the year, and especially as the next New Year is just around the corner. Plus, it includes another one of Black's memorable car analogies.

I know it can't be avoided, but I feel bad that Mom's spending Thanksgiving alone, but given the coronavirus it can't be helped.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Unfortunately, there are many people in that situation this year. Myself included.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Please. You only "do" Thanksgiving because it's expected of you. Unlike Mom, you don't even want me to make you a Thanksgiving dinner care package.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Not a fan of turkey – but did you know that TV dinners were created because of Thanksgiving?
Keep Reading ... Show less