It's possible the most poignant and bittersweet inauguration ceremony won't actually take place at the inauguration.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Black was surprised to discover that Red, a student of history who's been watching the news more often than she ever has before, wasn't aware that President-Elect Biden had announced that on the eve of his inauguration there will be a nationwide tribute to remember and honor the lives lost to COVID-19. (Black stays on top of the news thanks to Axios, and got the scoop on Red via this Axios post.) But once Red learned about it, she felt an unexpected mixture of gratitude and patriotism, and although she found it difficult to explain to Black exactly why, she knew that it was destined to be a poignant and powerful ceremony.

In a promise to “never forget” we’re rerunning our 2021 post so that we always remember …

September 11 is a date on the calendar, but "9/11" is a date in history.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Much like JFK's assassination was to an older generation (although Black's old enough to be included), we both remember exactly what we were doing when we first heard the news of the attacks on the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Flight 93; but, interestingly, how we reflect on 9/11 is a bit of a role reversal.

Keep Reading ...Show less