Tell it to the elf. Tell it to the judge.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Saying different people see things differently and find different things amusing is an understatement, especially when it comes to us; but although we may have different reasons why we found this so funny (Red may have been punchy at the time, while Black finds it very clever), it did make us laugh.

When Black forwarded Red a story about toy elves, it left her a bit bewildered, especially since the subject line was “With a wink, judge fights ‘tyranny’ of Elf on the Shelf.” Initially, Red couldn’t help but think about Will Ferrell in the movie “Elf” since the seasonal angle was pretty obvious, even if the movie wasn’t one of her Christmas favorites. (Sorry, Will, that honor goes to “Holiday Inn,” a classic starring Bing Crosby that never gets old.)

But as soon as Red clicked on the judge’s mock order, she started to smile and then, as she told Black,

It’s just hilarious. And while I wasn’t familiar with the concept of elves essentially being spies for Santa, I couldn’t help but love and laugh at the judge’s evaluation and handling of the Elf on the Shelf “situation”.

Of course, Black was surprised she’d never heard about Elf on the Shelf, so sent her an interesting article on its innocent beginnings, adding,

There is no need for an elf in my house – just put me on the naughty list.

Last year on MLK Day, Red learned the power and inspiration of the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Today, in these divisive times, we can all learn from him … as not only did he fight for equality for all, but his approach is proof that peaceful protests can achieve social justice.

For most of us, writing and delivering one powerful and/or inspiring thing would be a very difficult task. To be remembered for hundreds is truly amazing.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: There's so much one can say about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who led the civil rights movement from the mid-1950s until his assassination in 1968, and whose leadership was fundamental to the ending of legal segregation in many parts of the United States. But regardless of your position on segregation, it's almost impossible not to acknowledge, yet alone appreciate, how incredibly powerful and inspiring his words were and the impact they continue to have on the civil rights movement. But don't believe us. This goodreads post provides more than just a good read, it's a seemingly endless list of inspirational quotes while a great "refresher" course on Dr. King is available at History.com.

National holidays aren’t the time to count calories.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We both agree that happiness has a hole in it, although one of us may only eat one bagel a year while the other tries to keep it to only one bagel when she does indulge.

Keep Reading ... Show less

A day to clean up your desk?! It will take way more than a day …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: No one is immune from piles of paper, not even Black, the master of organization, but there’s a huge difference between a desk with a few small piles and some scattered papers (although her laptop’s keyboard needs serious cleaning) and Red’s “workroom” that usually looks like a tornado hit it.

Which is why Red rolled her eyes when Black mentioned today’s National Clean Your Desk Day, as it’d take her significantly more than a day to “clean up this mess,” but then she remembered Black’s advice on how to keep her piles (and piles) of paper under control and felt inspired. Red admits often feeling like she’s drowning in paper, but that’s because she lets the piles get out of control before reminding herself of Black’s very easy, straightforward approach to turning her mountains of paper into small manageable hills. And, significantly reducing stress along the way, because as Black points out,

Sometimes, it is more important to know what you are ignoring than it is to deal with everything in the piles.