A modest man with a humble beginning who was as comfortable talking with presidents and kings, rock stars and politicians, as he was with total unknowns. A truly amazing talent with an equally amazing career.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We're not sure that there's anything more we can say about Larry King that hasn't been said, and by sources that are far more qualified than we are. (Although Black once had the honor of talking with him on the telephone.) From the CNN tribute to the icon who taped more than 6,000 episodes of his show on their network, to AP News covering his life as well as tributes from around the world. There are countless tributes and articles being written about this truly one-of-a-kind broadcast interviewer. But was he really an interviewer? Well, technically, yes. But we feel that he was really more of a broadcast conversationalist. We dare you to watch any Larry King show (here's a Vanity Fair tribute listing some of his most memorable) and not feel like you're eavesdropping on a conversation.

As voters, should we care whether people on the ballot are mentally capable of holding the job?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It's probably safe to say that most of us, including Red, think of old age and its implications in a very personal way, either in terms of ourselves or loved ones. But not Black, who often says, "Aging beats the alternative," and looked at retirement from a business perspective, but now sees how it impacts all of us in terms of elected officials.

Keep Reading ... Show less

How do you look back at the "good 'ole days" if they happened before you were even born?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We read the same Axios story about "TikTok's nostalgia economy," and although the focus was "media trends" due to younger people using social media to both make fun of older people and also to flashback nostalgically, of course, we focused on very different aspects of the story.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Want good customer service? Good behavior is a good start.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up hearing the expression "the customer is always right," and Red certainly agreed with it; and while Black understood the customer service aspect of it, she did question its impact on employees (why would you "automatically" side with a customer over an employee without knowing the details). And that was before the pandemic changed everything, but especially customer behavior.

Until recently, Red didn't think much about why the customer was "always right," but it reminded her of years ago when Black shared her amusing (or, at least, to Red) version of the Golden Rule, "He who has the gold, rules. "So, wouldn't that also apply to customers? Wouldn't a happy customer be a loyal customer?

Keep Reading ... Show less