They’ve walked down the aisle and now the red carpet … but who will be giving acceptance speeches?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Every year, the Oscars seem to feature some sort of “history making” news, but this year’s nomination of two real-life couples for the four key acting categories may not only be a first, but could be a last as it’s so unique; which Red loves for the “theater” of it, while Black prefers the statistical aspect.

For those not familiar, power couple Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz are nominated for Best Actor and Best Actress, although for different movies (“Being the Ricardos” and “Parallel Mothers,” respectively); while Kristin Dunst and Jesse Plenmons are up for Best Supporting Actress and Best Supporting Actor for “The Power of the Dog.”

Red typically tries to see the movies nominated for Best Picture before the Oscars are awarded (it was easier when it was only five movies, not 10), and although she’s returned to going to the movies and loves the experience of seeing them on the big screen, her movie habits have changed dramatically (pun intended),

I was looking forward to seeing “The Power of the Dog” and “Being The Ricardos,” two extremely different movies generating a lot of Oscar buzz. So, with each movie, there I was, with a large bucket of popcorn waiting for the movie to start. But instead of movie popcorn, it was microwave popcorn, and instead of lights dimming as the movie began, I merely leaned over and turned off a lamp in my living room.

Of course, Black was tempted to explain how streaming has dramatically changed the film industry, but instead let Red know that never before have so many nominated films been available to stream. But Black couldn’t resist pointing out the challenges of Hollywood couples “competing” for such a high-profile prestigious award,

As you know, my favorite movie is “Gone With The Wind,” and Scarlett was played by Vivien Leigh. Shortly before she and Laurence Olivier were married, she was nominated for Best Actress, and he was nominated for Best Actor for the role of Heathcliff in “Wuthering Heights.” She won, and he did not, and supposedly Olivier said of Leigh’s Oscar, “It was all I could do to restrain myself from hitting her with it. I was insane with jealousy.”

When it comes to Hollywood stars, the drama never stops …

It’s hard to believe the topic of the Supreme Court and abortion could become any more controversial or dramatic. But there was no way to know a draft opinion overturning Roe v. Wade would be leaked to the press. A situation so shocking, it’s being compared to the "Pentagon Papers" leak.

Yes, leaks happen all the time in politics – at the campaign level, sometimes from Congress, and even on occasion from the executive branch. But from the Supreme Court of the United States??? Yet as Black said to Red just after it happened,

Nowadays, it is just too easy to have a “leak” as almost everything is just a “click away” from being shared or printed. No clandestine nights at the copy machine are required.

There’s an expression … throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Well, Supreme Court decisions on “babies” (well, technically fetuses) may also impact its integrity.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: There’s no question the recent Supreme Court cases involving abortion are controversial and may have a major impact on Roe v. Wade; something that both Red (as a mom to two daughters) and Black (as a highly independent woman who made the conscious decision not to have children) have strong feelings about, albeit focused on two very different aspects.

Keep Reading ... Show less

If you’ve never thought about May Day, don’t worry, most of us haven’t.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red appreciates that some holidays have historical significance, some have ancient traditions, and some are opportunities for one of Black’s unexpected, but often amusing and clever, comments, but May Day checks all those boxes.

Keep Reading ... Show less

To quote the lyrics from "West Side Story," “Could be … who knows …”

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red, the theater major and lover of Broadway musicals, has loved "West Side Story" for as long as she can remember, so imagine her surprise when Black, usually only interested in the business aspects of the entertainment world, shared a “new” fact (at least, new to Red) about one of the most popular musicals ever produced.

Keep Reading ... Show less