Banter Bites

A Couple Of Couples Make Oscar History

They’ve walked down the aisle and now the red carpet … but who will be giving acceptance speeches?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Every year, the Oscars seem to feature some sort of “history making” news, but this year’s nomination of two real-life couples for the four key acting categories may not only be a first, but could be a last as it’s so unique; which Red loves for the “theater” of it, while Black prefers the statistical aspect.

For those not familiar, power couple Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz are nominated for Best Actor and Best Actress, although for different movies (“Being the Ricardos” and “Parallel Mothers,” respectively); while Kristin Dunst and Jesse Plenmons are up for Best Supporting Actress and Best Supporting Actor for “The Power of the Dog.”

Red typically tries to see the movies nominated for Best Picture before the Oscars are awarded (it was easier when it was only five movies, not 10), and although she’s returned to going to the movies and loves the experience of seeing them on the big screen, her movie habits have changed dramatically (pun intended),

I was looking forward to seeing “The Power of the Dog” and “Being The Ricardos,” two extremely different movies generating a lot of Oscar buzz. So, with each movie, there I was, with a large bucket of popcorn waiting for the movie to start. But instead of movie popcorn, it was microwave popcorn, and instead of lights dimming as the movie began, I merely leaned over and turned off a lamp in my living room.

Of course, Black was tempted to explain how streaming has dramatically changed the film industry, but instead let Red know that never before have so many nominated films been available to stream. But Black couldn’t resist pointing out the challenges of Hollywood couples “competing” for such a high-profile prestigious award,

As you know, my favorite movie is “Gone With The Wind,” and Scarlett was played by Vivien Leigh. Shortly before she and Laurence Olivier were married, she was nominated for Best Actress, and he was nominated for Best Actor for the role of Heathcliff in “Wuthering Heights.” She won, and he did not, and supposedly Olivier said of Leigh’s Oscar, “It was all I could do to restrain myself from hitting her with it. I was insane with jealousy.”

When it comes to Hollywood stars, the drama never stops …

Two years ago, on MLK Day, Red learned the power and inspiration of the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. And the power of dreams. And as long as there's social unrest and social injustice in the United States (stop and think about the first word … as we’re supposed to be united), the more we can learn from him … as not only did he fight for equality for all, but his approach is proof of the power of peaceful protests.

For most of us, writing and delivering one powerful and/or inspiring thing would be a very difficult task. To be remembered for hundreds is truly amazing.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: There's so much one can say about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who led the civil rights movement from the mid-1950s until his assassination in 1968, and whose leadership was fundamental to the ending of legal segregation in many parts of the United States. But regardless of your position on segregation, it's almost impossible not to acknowledge, yet alone appreciate, how incredibly powerful and inspiring his words were and the impact they continue to have on the civil rights movement. But don't believe us. This goodreads post provides more than just a good read, it's a seemingly endless list of inspirational quotes while a great "refresher" course on Dr. King is available at History.com.

We grew up in New York, where bagels are almost sacred, but even though they may have started as a Jewish food in Europe, they’re now enjoyed by everyone everywhere (including Red and Black, but in very different ways) – why else would there be a National Bagel Day?

National holidays aren’t the time to count calories.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We both agree that happiness has a hole in it, although one of us may only eat one bagel a year while the other tries to keep it to only one bagel when she does indulge.

Keep Reading ...Show less

Another year and another National Clean Your Desk Day (yes, that’s actually a thing). So, is Red’s desk any better than the “disaster” it was last year? Well, believe it or not, it may not be perfect, but it’s significantly better. Is it because she finally listened to Black’s advice (see below) or somehow found a “secret” of her own? As it turns out, it was a combination of the two as Red discovered, even if the rest of her life isn’t “nice and neat” (that’ll never happen), she loves walking into her workroom in the morning and starting the day in a (somewhat) organized space, which provides the best motivation for keeping it that way. (Luckily, Black never brought up the science of messy desks.)

A day to clean up your desk?! It will take way more than a day …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: No one is immune from piles of paper, not even Black, the master of organization, but there’s a huge difference between a desk with a few small piles and some scattered papers (although her laptop’s keyboard needs serious cleaning) and Red’s “workroom” that usually looks like a tornado hit it.

Which is why Red rolled her eyes when Black mentioned today’s National Clean Your Desk Day, as it’d take her significantly more than a day to “clean up this mess,” but then she remembered Black’s advice on how to keep her piles (and piles) of paper under control and felt inspired. Red admits often feeling like she’s drowning in paper, but that’s because she lets the piles get out of control before reminding herself of Black’s very easy, straightforward approach to turning her mountains of paper into small manageable hills. And, significantly reducing stress along the way, because as Black points out,

Sometimes, it is more important to know what you are ignoring than it is to deal with everything in the piles.