They’ve walked down the aisle and now the red carpet … but who will be giving acceptance speeches?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Every year, the Oscars seem to feature some sort of “history making” news, but this year’s nomination of two real-life couples for the four key acting categories may not only be a first, but could be a last as it’s so unique; which Red loves for the “theater” of it, while Black prefers the statistical aspect.

For those not familiar, power couple Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz are nominated for Best Actor and Best Actress, although for different movies (“Being the Ricardos” and “Parallel Mothers,” respectively); while Kristin Dunst and Jesse Plenmons are up for Best Supporting Actress and Best Supporting Actor for “The Power of the Dog.”

Red typically tries to see the movies nominated for Best Picture before the Oscars are awarded (it was easier when it was only five movies, not 10), and although she’s returned to going to the movies and loves the experience of seeing them on the big screen, her movie habits have changed dramatically (pun intended),

I was looking forward to seeing “The Power of the Dog” and “Being The Ricardos,” two extremely different movies generating a lot of Oscar buzz. So, with each movie, there I was, with a large bucket of popcorn waiting for the movie to start. But instead of movie popcorn, it was microwave popcorn, and instead of lights dimming as the movie began, I merely leaned over and turned off a lamp in my living room.

Of course, Black was tempted to explain how streaming has dramatically changed the film industry, but instead let Red know that never before have so many nominated films been available to stream. But Black couldn’t resist pointing out the challenges of Hollywood couples “competing” for such a high-profile prestigious award,

As you know, my favorite movie is “Gone With The Wind,” and Scarlett was played by Vivien Leigh. Shortly before she and Laurence Olivier were married, she was nominated for Best Actress, and he was nominated for Best Actor for the role of Heathcliff in “Wuthering Heights.” She won, and he did not, and supposedly Olivier said of Leigh’s Oscar, “It was all I could do to restrain myself from hitting her with it. I was insane with jealousy.”

When it comes to Hollywood stars, the drama never stops …

In a promise to “never forget” we’re rerunning our 2021 post so that we always remember …

September 11 is a date on the calendar, but "9/11" is a date in history.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Much like JFK's assassination was to an older generation (although Black's old enough to be included), we both remember exactly what we were doing when we first heard the news of the attacks on the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Flight 93; but, interestingly, how we reflect on 9/11 is a bit of a role reversal.

Keep Reading ...Show less