Banter Bites

A Couple Of Couples Make Oscar History

They’ve walked down the aisle and now the red carpet … but who will be giving acceptance speeches?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Every year, the Oscars seem to feature some sort of “history making” news, but this year’s nomination of two real-life couples for the four key acting categories may not only be a first, but could be a last as it’s so unique; which Red loves for the “theater” of it, while Black prefers the statistical aspect.

For those not familiar, power couple Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz are nominated for Best Actor and Best Actress, although for different movies (“Being the Ricardos” and “Parallel Mothers,” respectively); while Kristin Dunst and Jesse Plenmons are up for Best Supporting Actress and Best Supporting Actor for “The Power of the Dog.”

Red typically tries to see the movies nominated for Best Picture before the Oscars are awarded (it was easier when it was only five movies, not 10), and although she’s returned to going to the movies and loves the experience of seeing them on the big screen, her movie habits have changed dramatically (pun intended),

I was looking forward to seeing “The Power of the Dog” and “Being The Ricardos,” two extremely different movies generating a lot of Oscar buzz. So, with each movie, there I was, with a large bucket of popcorn waiting for the movie to start. But instead of movie popcorn, it was microwave popcorn, and instead of lights dimming as the movie began, I merely leaned over and turned off a lamp in my living room.

Of course, Black was tempted to explain how streaming has dramatically changed the film industry, but instead let Red know that never before have so many nominated films been available to stream. But Black couldn’t resist pointing out the challenges of Hollywood couples “competing” for such a high-profile prestigious award,

As you know, my favorite movie is “Gone With The Wind,” and Scarlett was played by Vivien Leigh. Shortly before she and Laurence Olivier were married, she was nominated for Best Actress, and he was nominated for Best Actor for the role of Heathcliff in “Wuthering Heights.” She won, and he did not, and supposedly Olivier said of Leigh’s Oscar, “It was all I could do to restrain myself from hitting her with it. I was insane with jealousy.”

When it comes to Hollywood stars, the drama never stops …

No matter what holiday you may celebrate, Red can’t help but quote a line from one of her favorite Christmas songs, “Have yourself a merry little Christmas. Let your heart be light. From now on, your troubles will be out of sight.”

And Black can’t help but point out that the song wasn’t introduced in a Christmas movie but in the movie "Meet Me In St. Louis."

Wishing you a merry everything and a happy always!

This is one of Red’s favorite Banter Bites in large part because of Black’s “corny” puns, but also because fresh corn is a summer staple – whether cooked on the grill or in the microwave, whether eaten on its own or as a primary ingredient in refreshing summer salads

This may be one of the corniest things you’ll ever read.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It’s just a vegetable, so how can it possibly elicit such a strong reaction from Red, while, for Black, it’s more a source of amusement and even, it turns out, admiration?

Keep Reading ...Show less

Think you can avoid artificial intelligence? Think again …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red already fights technology at every turn, preferring to keep her ostrich head in the sand, plus, she finds Artificial Intelligence (AI) scary; whereas Black knows ignoring reality merely postpones the inevitable, so she’s started playing with AI to understand it better …

Keep Reading ...Show less