I think we would share the "Funny One" title. In terms of "Wild One", gee that's a no-brainer, even my daughters would know the answer is my sister! As far as the "Smart One", I would say I might have more "book smarts" (or at least I did before I gave birth twice), but as far as I'm concerned, my sister is definitely the "Smart One."

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

  • We are both funny, but I am more outrageous.
  • I am definitely the wild one.
  • She has more book smarts; I tend to have more street smarts.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Hindsight should always be 20/20, but life does not work that way. Which may explain why I typically do not look back (with the exception of having to come up with ideas for our Memory Lane section) … I focus on looking forward. And, at the risk of sounding arrogant, I am not sure I would have done anything differently in terms of COVID-19, but I probably would have spent less time following political news.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Remember that, as Black has repeatedly told me over the years, you can eat an elephant, just not all at one time. I have a tendency to get overwhelmed (ok, Black would say that's a huge understatement), in part because I try to put entire projects on my "to do" list, rather than breaking them down into manageable "bites". Then, once the coronavirus came along, I was so focused and emotionally overwhelmed at what I needed to do to keep me and my family safe, as well as be prepared for whatever might happen, that although (in theory) I had more time "at home" I initially let things accumulate. Eventually, I started using that "extra time" to address things on my "to do" list, one step at a time, but I wish I'd have approached things with that mindset from the beginning.

I really needed time to think about this as there were so many images that immediately came to mind. So, at the risk of Black saying that I "cheated", I went online to see if I could narrow it down. But here's the funny thing. The one that I first thought about, and keep thinking about, I couldn't find. I saw it "live" when watching the inaugural concert and the image was only on for a few seconds. But that was long enough to know that, for me, it was incredibly special. It was Vice President Harris leaning her head on her husband's shoulder, watching the amazing fireworks, with the Lincoln Memorial in the background. It was a simple shot, caught fleetingly by the camera; an unposed, spontaneous image that reminded me of one that you'd snap at a family gathering. But seeing our first female Vice President, who clearly has a warm and loving relationship with her spouse, with Lincoln "watching on" showing the history of the moment, just made it all come together in a single image. Will it "technically" become iconic? Probably not, especially since I can't even find it online. But will it always stay in mind as a memory of the inauguration? Absolutely.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

That's Red. The straight-A student that, although she had the answer, wanted to first do some homework. I, on the other hand, knew my answer immediately. Interestingly, it was a very similar image, but for very different reasons. It was President Biden and First Lady Dr. Jill Biden watching fireworks from the balcony of their new home – the White House. Besides it obviously representing a new beginning for the presidency, the fireworks were the grand finale of an evening of celebration that was for and about us – "We the people." And, then I noticed that she was wearing a wrist courage. It reminded me of a simpler and more thoughtful time – one filled with grace and small courtesies. Maybe this is a new beginning in more ways than one …

Mixed. I'm scared because of everything that's happening in the Capitol right now. I'm excited because no matter the political party, it's incredible that we'll have a woman Vice President and what that means for all the girls in this country. And I'm thrilled that my daughters will see that. I'm full of pride because it shows that in America democracy is bigger than any one person or group. Finally, as someone that loves history, it does sadden me that it won't be a traditional inauguration, filled with traditions and peaceful transfer of power but I suspect that President-elect Biden and Vice President-elect Harris are more focused on what they're going to do once inaugurated.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Having an elaborate wedding does not mean you will have a successful marriage, any more so than eloping means your marriage will fail. The real work starts after the ceremony, and is a function of your commitment to uphold the solemn promises made during the ceremony. This inauguration will go down in history for many reasons and the fact its theme is "America United" is both heartbreaking and inspirational. But, as Americans, it is our responsibility to do everything within our power to help heal the country and work toward finding common ground so we can come together.