Since when does doing something backward mean you're doing it wrong?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red, still that straight-A student, has always tried to do things the “right” way, which has meant looking at things in a very traditional way; while Black, who doesn’t think like most “mere mortals” (as Red's fond of telling her) looks at things in a very different, or perhaps even “backward”, way.

For Red, that has always meant looking at where things are today and moving forward in an orderly and logical, at least to her, way. Doing things “out of order” isn’t Red’s style. So, National Backward Day, where you not only celebrate but embrace doing things backward, or simply contrary to how they’re usually done, seemed crazy and even difficult to do. Until it prompted a long-forgotten memory,

My mom used to tell me that one of her and my dad’s favorite meals was going to a restaurant called Lundy’s on Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn (where they grew up and lived when they first were married). But one night, after getting tired of never having room for dessert, they decided to eat their meal backward – so a large heaping slice of blueberry pie topped with chocolate ice-cream was followed by an enormous portion of fried shrimp followed by soup and salad, which they ended up taking home. And they deemed it … a perfect meal.

Of course, for Black, the idea of doing things backward comes second nature and is how she has approached life. She looks at the end goal and then thinks about how to get there, hence to her, it’s always about working backward (even New Year’s resolutions, if she made them) because,

If you do not know where you want to go, how can you determine the best way to get there? It is like getting in a car and driving without a destination in mind – it will get you somewhere, but not necessarily where you want to be.

Looking for a simpler way to celebrate the day? Maybe eat breakfast for dinner (we often do that anyway) or turn your shirt around. Maybe we should celebrate by Red being pragmatic and Black warm and fuzzy. Now that would be backward!

In a promise to “never forget” we’re rerunning our 2021 post so that we always remember …

September 11 is a date on the calendar, but "9/11" is a date in history.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Much like JFK's assassination was to an older generation (although Black's old enough to be included), we both remember exactly what we were doing when we first heard the news of the attacks on the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Flight 93; but, interestingly, how we reflect on 9/11 is a bit of a role reversal.

Keep Reading ...Show less