Three vaccines. All deemed safe and effective. All extremely good at preventing serious disease. And isn't that what really matters?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Johnson & Johnson is known and trusted for its consumer products and first aid supplies … and what could be more important to consumers than a proven-effective COVID-19 vaccine?!

It was a huge relief when the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines received emergency use approval, and now it's exciting that we have the Johnson & Johnson vaccine as a third option. Especially as it's a one-shot vaccine and, unlike the others, can be stored in a regular refrigerator, so it's much easier to use and distribute. Of course, there are differences between the three vaccines – not only the science behind them but also the timing of the testing, so it's difficult to do a straight comparison. But that doesn't stop people from trying, and as Black told Red,

OK, I am a numbers person but, in this case, it is not that simple. And even though people like to quote the efficacy rate of preventing COVID-19 (all of the vaccines are significantly higher than what the CDC initially hoped for) … the focus should be on the fact all three vaccines are extremely effective at preventing severe cases of the disease.

Red really didn't want to get into the science and the numbers, but felt compelled to add,

From the very start, my biggest concern wasn't the mild cases – it was the severe ones. The ones resulting in hospitalization or death. I just want the coronavirus to end up being like the flu, in that you can get a flu shot. And yes, I know, it doesn't mean you won't get it; it just means that it will most likely be a much milder case if you do.

In a promise to “never forget” we’re rerunning our 2021 post so that we always remember …

September 11 is a date on the calendar, but "9/11" is a date in history.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Much like JFK's assassination was to an older generation (although Black's old enough to be included), we both remember exactly what we were doing when we first heard the news of the attacks on the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Flight 93; but, interestingly, how we reflect on 9/11 is a bit of a role reversal.

Keep Reading ...Show less