Three vaccines. All deemed safe and effective. All extremely good at preventing serious disease. And isn't that what really matters?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Johnson & Johnson is known and trusted for its consumer products and first aid supplies … and what could be more important to consumers than a proven-effective COVID-19 vaccine?!

It was a huge relief when the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines received emergency use approval, and now it's exciting that we have the Johnson & Johnson vaccine as a third option. Especially as it's a one-shot vaccine and, unlike the others, can be stored in a regular refrigerator, so it's much easier to use and distribute. Of course, there are differences between the three vaccines – not only the science behind them but also the timing of the testing, so it's difficult to do a straight comparison. But that doesn't stop people from trying, and as Black told Red,

OK, I am a numbers person but, in this case, it is not that simple. And even though people like to quote the efficacy rate of preventing COVID-19 (all of the vaccines are significantly higher than what the CDC initially hoped for) … the focus should be on the fact all three vaccines are extremely effective at preventing severe cases of the disease.

Red really didn't want to get into the science and the numbers, but felt compelled to add,

From the very start, my biggest concern wasn't the mild cases – it was the severe ones. The ones resulting in hospitalization or death. I just want the coronavirus to end up being like the flu, in that you can get a flu shot. And yes, I know, it doesn't mean you won't get it; it just means that it will most likely be a much milder case if you do.

It's hard not to have an opinion about this year's Olympics, but can we all agree that the athletes represent strength, perseverance, and hope?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: The Olympics is the world's largest sporting event, and although it seems that history occurs both on and off the "field", it's safe to say that the Olympics means very different things to different people (especially us).

Keep Reading ... Show less

The "space race" used to be about countries competing … now, it's billionaires.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up in the 1960s when space exploration was in its infancy and space travel was left to the imagination of television show and movie writers; but since one of us was a theater major and the other studied business, it's not surprising we had very different reactions to the recent flights.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Coffee MAY reduce the risk of getting COVID-19, but masks, social distancing, and taking the vaccine WILL!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Both of us are habitual coffee drinkers, so were curious about the potential benefits of our favorite beverage to lower the risk of contracting COVID-19, although our initial reactions to the study were (of course) very different.

Keep Reading ... Show less