Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I'm so relieved there's a COVID-19 vaccine. And in record time, no less! But now I have a thousand questions.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

You and millions of other people. And, probably many of the same questions. However, since neither one of us will be in line to get any of the first vaccinations, you will have plenty of time to get your questions answered.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, I know. It's only fair that healthcare workers and first responders get top priority, along with employees and residents of long-term care facilities, like nursing homes. But how will we know when it's our turn?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Patience, grasshopper. It will be months before either one of us is eligible, which will give them time to figure out the notification system. And, I am guessing each state will have their own system.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, that'll be confusing.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Maybe for national record keeping, but why would you care about your eligibility in a state other than the one in which you are a resident? It is not like you own multiple homes.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Fine. But knowing what's happening in other places is important. For example, we learned from the UK that people with severe allergies shouldn't take the vaccine. I'd be curious as to how they define "severe" allergies. I doubt it, but does sneezing and watery eyes count as "severe"? Since I have what I think are "normal" allergies, should I take a Claritin or other allergy relief drug in advance of getting the vaccine?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Excellent questions and I am confident all of your questions will be answered. The drug companies will be keeping records as will state and national health organizations. Not to mention, all the hospitals, pharmacies, and doctor's offices that will be vaccinating people. By the time we can get vaccinated, there will be lots of data available.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

OK, but I wish there was a place to get all my questions answered. And answered honestly, without political bias or marketing angles.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

You can always go to the CDC's site. But there are other useful sites out there, and I am sure more will be developed, although some may limit your free visits. I recently joined Medium so I could continue to access Every COVID-19 vaccine question you'll ever have, answered. (Thank you, Bryan Walsh at Axios, for the heads-up on the resource.)

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Good to know. Does it mention whether the vaccine's really going to be free for everyone?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I am sure it does, but I have not checked. Please tell me that you are not planning to send your thousands of questions to me.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Hello. You still there?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes. I just didn't know how to answer your question. Or, at least, not honestly.

It was like any other weekday morning, a tumbler of hot coffee on my desk and the morning news on the TV in the background, as I brace myself as I open Outlook. Computer issues? Nope, especially now that I have a new computer. Instead, it's the daily onslaught of emails generated by Black as she seems to do her best thinking while the rest of us are sleeping.

Well, the subject line of one of her emails, "Crazy idea?", stands out and I open it to find an image of a Good Humor truck and a leading question:

Well, it's a new year but it really doesn't feel much different from last year. Even though there's a vaccine, the coronavirus is still a gray cloud hanging over us. Combine that with resolutions that typically don't last more than a month or so, and it's not a good start to the new year.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

The new year is a date on the calendar. It would be like saying Wednesday really does not feel any different from Tuesday. It is a mindset and an attitude. And, obviously, yours is focused on the negative – not the positive.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I know I should treat the new year as a new beginning. You know, the concept that's the basis of countless articles and news features. But it just seems like an almost impossible task.
Keep Reading ... Show less

Red wonders if we can blame it on Bruce Willis or maybe Robert Downey, Jr. Blame them for what? The popularity of action movies over the last decades – ranging from normal people demonstrating almost impossible feats of bravery and skill (yes, she's thinking "Die Hard") to super heroes conquering the day no matter the odds (like Marvel's "The Avengers") – that has greatly influenced our idea of what's a "hero". (Black defers to Red when it comes to movies, unless you want to talk about the business aspects of the industry.)

Until we stop and think about it.

Keep Reading ... Show less