Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I'm so relieved there's a COVID-19 vaccine. And in record time, no less! But now I have a thousand questions.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

You and millions of other people. And, probably many of the same questions. However, since neither one of us will be in line to get any of the first vaccinations, you will have plenty of time to get your questions answered.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, I know. It's only fair that healthcare workers and first responders get top priority, along with employees and residents of long-term care facilities, like nursing homes. But how will we know when it's our turn?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Patience, grasshopper. It will be months before either one of us is eligible, which will give them time to figure out the notification system. And, I am guessing each state will have their own system.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, that'll be confusing.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Maybe for national record keeping, but why would you care about your eligibility in a state other than the one in which you are a resident? It is not like you own multiple homes.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Fine. But knowing what's happening in other places is important. For example, we learned from the UK that people with severe allergies shouldn't take the vaccine. I'd be curious as to how they define "severe" allergies. I doubt it, but does sneezing and watery eyes count as "severe"? Since I have what I think are "normal" allergies, should I take a Claritin or other allergy relief drug in advance of getting the vaccine?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Excellent questions and I am confident all of your questions will be answered. The drug companies will be keeping records as will state and national health organizations. Not to mention, all the hospitals, pharmacies, and doctor's offices that will be vaccinating people. By the time we can get vaccinated, there will be lots of data available.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

OK, but I wish there was a place to get all my questions answered. And answered honestly, without political bias or marketing angles.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

You can always go to the CDC's site. But there are other useful sites out there, and I am sure more will be developed, although some may limit your free visits. I recently joined Medium so I could continue to access Every COVID-19 vaccine question you'll ever have, answered. (Thank you, Bryan Walsh at Axios, for the heads-up on the resource.)

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Good to know. Does it mention whether the vaccine's really going to be free for everyone?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I am sure it does, but I have not checked. Please tell me that you are not planning to send your thousands of questions to me.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Hello. You still there?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes. I just didn't know how to answer your question. Or, at least, not honestly.

I can’t believe it’s already May, which means hot and humid weather is just around the corner. All I can say is … ugh.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Not a scientific term, but descriptive nonetheless. And, I hate to break the news to you, but the science of climate change and global warming means summers will keep getting hotter.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

I can remember growing up in New York and summers being hot, but not like now. Of course, it didn’t help that Mommy didn’t run the air conditioning until it got into the 90s.
Keep Reading ... Show less
Photo by Epiximages on iStock

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I appreciate that bullet points may not be the typical approach to Mother’s Day, but it seems appropriate to me …
  • Be sensitive to those people whose mothers may no longer be with us, especially given how many have been lost to COVID
  • If you have lost a mother, remember they are always with you – in your heart and in your memories
  • Remember Mother’s Day also includes all those “unofficial moms” and “mother figures” who are like second (or replacement) moms
  • And, last but not least, If you’re a mom, try to enjoy the day by doing something for yourself, as today may be the one day you can get away with it

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

This year I write about Mother’s Day with a heavy heart and still much raw emotion, as our mom passed in December. My pragmatic side (yes, that’s usually Black’s area although she did sound somewhat warm and fuzzy above) knows that she had been 94 and led a full life, but that really doesn’t make it any less sad or fill the emptiness. But I find myself, when I least expect it and triggered by the most unexpected things, finding comfort in wonderful memories. And although Black’s first bullet point hits too close to home for me, I’ll try my best to focus on the other bullets.

Wishing all moms a very Happy Mother’s Day!

At speaking engagements, Black will often ask, “Who likes math?” followed by, “Who likes money?” As you can imagine, a lot more hands go up in the air for the second question than the first. But imagine if she asked if money made them laugh. It’s probably safe to say no one would say, “Yes.” Although they’d be wrong because people laugh (and learn) at basic, but potentially life-changing, stories about Red and how, when it came to money, she was clueless and intimidated.

It could be the story of Red putting her theater degree to good use as she freaked out about vocabulary. Especially since she was a straight-A student and avid reader who prided herself on her vocabulary. (If words set her off, Black could only imagine the “scene” that would have occurred if she had asked Red this handful of questions.) But Red’s financial crisis did prompt the ever-pragmatic Black to envision the power of a sitcom with entertaining money episodes because … Money IS A Laughing Matter!

Want to read other columns? Here’s a list.