It's a beautiful day for a walk. But, if you're a woman, you have to think about more than just the weather …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: The truly tragic and awful story about Sarah Everard, the young woman who was kidnapped and murdered while walking home in London, has not only alarmed women everywhere, but highlights how women ALWAYS have to be concerned about their safety, even when seemingly doing all the right things.

When Red first heard the news, she was saddened and dismayed. Not only because her eldest daughter lives in England, but because it's a sign of the times. When she lived there, granted it was decades ago, she was surprised that many people didn't even lock their doors yet alone worry about walking alone at night.

We grew up just outside New York City with what we'd call a "New York" mentality. It wasn't that we were paranoid; it was just that personal safety was a natural part of our upbringing as when we'd go into "the city" we paid particular attention to our surroundings and always tried to avoid any potentially dangerous situations. And it became second nature.

So, when Red became a mom, she passed down this way of thinking, and because she had daughters also made sure they had things like pepper spray and a rape whistle. And while it's always been part of a mom's "job description" to worry about her children, now it's more than that …

I hate that I have to remind the girls that they need to be extremely careful and aware of their surroundings at all times and prepared for the worst. I know they've "inherited" my New York mentality, but that's not always enough given how the world is these days. In fact, I'm not sure there's any truly safe place, especially for a woman.

Black agreed and then started to delve deeper into the many other safety issues that face women – things like date rape, workplace harassment, and domestic violence – and Red quickly asked her to stop. It wasn't that she was being an ostrich; it was just more than she wanted to hear right then. So, Black decided to lighten it up in her own way …

The things we do for safety! In fact, that is why I sold my Ferrari. I was afraid as a woman alone, especially in a convertible, that I was asking for trouble. I feel so much safer in my G-wagen, which is like a tank. One of the ploys with women driving alone at night is to lightly run into the back end of their car, getting them to stop, and get out of their car. Do that to me, and I'll just put it in reverse and destroy the front of your car.

As voters, should we care whether people on the ballot are mentally capable of holding the job?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It's probably safe to say that most of us, including Red, think of old age and its implications in a very personal way, either in terms of ourselves or loved ones. But not Black, who often says, "Aging beats the alternative," and looked at retirement from a business perspective, but now sees how it impacts all of us in terms of elected officials.

Keep Reading ... Show less

How do you look back at the "good 'ole days" if they happened before you were even born?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We read the same Axios story about "TikTok's nostalgia economy," and although the focus was "media trends" due to younger people using social media to both make fun of older people and also to flashback nostalgically, of course, we focused on very different aspects of the story.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Want good customer service? Good behavior is a good start.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up hearing the expression "the customer is always right," and Red certainly agreed with it; and while Black understood the customer service aspect of it, she did question its impact on employees (why would you "automatically" side with a customer over an employee without knowing the details). And that was before the pandemic changed everything, but especially customer behavior.

Until recently, Red didn't think much about why the customer was "always right," but it reminded her of years ago when Black shared her amusing (or, at least, to Red) version of the Golden Rule, "He who has the gold, rules. "So, wouldn't that also apply to customers? Wouldn't a happy customer be a loyal customer?

Keep Reading ... Show less