It's a beautiful day for a walk. But, if you're a woman, you have to think about more than just the weather …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: The truly tragic and awful story about Sarah Everard, the young woman who was kidnapped and murdered while walking home in London, has not only alarmed women everywhere, but highlights how women ALWAYS have to be concerned about their safety, even when seemingly doing all the right things.

When Red first heard the news, she was saddened and dismayed. Not only because her eldest daughter lives in England, but because it's a sign of the times. When she lived there, granted it was decades ago, she was surprised that many people didn't even lock their doors yet alone worry about walking alone at night.

We grew up just outside New York City with what we'd call a "New York" mentality. It wasn't that we were paranoid; it was just that personal safety was a natural part of our upbringing as when we'd go into "the city" we paid particular attention to our surroundings and always tried to avoid any potentially dangerous situations. And it became second nature.

So, when Red became a mom, she passed down this way of thinking, and because she had daughters also made sure they had things like pepper spray and a rape whistle. And while it's always been part of a mom's "job description" to worry about her children, now it's more than that …

I hate that I have to remind the girls that they need to be extremely careful and aware of their surroundings at all times and prepared for the worst. I know they've "inherited" my New York mentality, but that's not always enough given how the world is these days. In fact, I'm not sure there's any truly safe place, especially for a woman.

Black agreed and then started to delve deeper into the many other safety issues that face women – things like date rape, workplace harassment, and domestic violence – and Red quickly asked her to stop. It wasn't that she was being an ostrich; it was just more than she wanted to hear right then. So, Black decided to lighten it up in her own way …

The things we do for safety! In fact, that is why I sold my Ferrari. I was afraid as a woman alone, especially in a convertible, that I was asking for trouble. I feel so much safer in my G-wagen, which is like a tank. One of the ploys with women driving alone at night is to lightly run into the back end of their car, getting them to stop, and get out of their car. Do that to me, and I'll just put it in reverse and destroy the front of your car.

It’s hard to believe the topic of the Supreme Court and abortion could become any more controversial or dramatic. But there was no way to know a draft opinion overturning Roe v. Wade would be leaked to the press. A situation so shocking, it’s being compared to the "Pentagon Papers" leak.

Yes, leaks happen all the time in politics – at the campaign level, sometimes from Congress, and even on occasion from the executive branch. But from the Supreme Court of the United States??? Yet as Black said to Red just after it happened,

Nowadays, it is just too easy to have a “leak” as almost everything is just a “click away” from being shared or printed. No clandestine nights at the copy machine are required.

There’s an expression … throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Well, Supreme Court decisions on “babies” (well, technically fetuses) may also impact its integrity.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: There’s no question the recent Supreme Court cases involving abortion are controversial and may have a major impact on Roe v. Wade; something that both Red (as a mom to two daughters) and Black (as a highly independent woman who made the conscious decision not to have children) have strong feelings about, albeit focused on two very different aspects.

Keep Reading ... Show less

If you’ve never thought about May Day, don’t worry, most of us haven’t.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red appreciates that some holidays have historical significance, some have ancient traditions, and some are opportunities for one of Black’s unexpected, but often amusing and clever, comments, but May Day checks all those boxes.

Keep Reading ... Show less

To quote the lyrics from "West Side Story," “Could be … who knows …”

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red, the theater major and lover of Broadway musicals, has loved "West Side Story" for as long as she can remember, so imagine her surprise when Black, usually only interested in the business aspects of the entertainment world, shared a “new” fact (at least, new to Red) about one of the most popular musicals ever produced.

Keep Reading ... Show less