The funny thing about pumpkin spice "everything" is that pumpkin isn't even an ingredient!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Fall has always been Red's favorite season. Growing up in New York, it meant chilly mornings, the start of earlier evenings, the brilliance of fall foliage, and mounds of leaves (first you rake, then you jump in). And the first hot chocolates of the season. But nowadays, it seems that pumpkin spice latte is the fall beverage, and "all things pumpkin spice" (not just food products) have become synonymous with fall.

Black, on the other hand, wonders if fall is still a season or has it been turned into a marketing campaign? And how does "pumpkin spice" (a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice – but no pumpkin) become a $500 million annual business? Starbucks and the fascinating history of its pumpkin spice lattes, aka PSL(that almost didn't happen), have led to a wide assortment of pumpkin spice products that sell us the smells and tastes and memories of fall. Pumpkin spice air freshener, anyone?

In a promise to “never forget” we’re rerunning our 2021 post so that we always remember …

September 11 is a date on the calendar, but "9/11" is a date in history.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Much like JFK's assassination was to an older generation (although Black's old enough to be included), we both remember exactly what we were doing when we first heard the news of the attacks on the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Flight 93; but, interestingly, how we reflect on 9/11 is a bit of a role reversal.

Keep Reading ...Show less