red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Oh, so many parents, myself included, can relate! Now that I’m an “empty nester” there’s a part of me that misses being needed for something as straightforward as being their personal chauffeur. Right now, it may seem like it’s never going to end, but it goes by so quickly. Trust me. At the time, it would often drive (pun intended) me crazy, and I’d think about all the “lost hours” driving my daughter to volleyball practices and tournaments. But now I miss that quiet time with her.

At the risk of sounding like I’m comparing myself to Svante Thunberg, father of world-known climate activist Greta Thunberg, I could relate on so many levels when he recently said now that Greta was a legal adult and he no longer has to chaperone her everywhere, he’s looking forward to getting back to his life and his job. But I guarantee he’ll miss spending that quality time with her.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Not having children, I can only give you an “outsider’s” perspective. And, I know there are Uber-type transportation services for children, although without doing extensive research on them, I cannot say whether I would have felt comfortable with my nieces using them when they were younger. And, once Red’s youngest was old enough to drive, as were some of her friends, she often replaced time chauffeuring with time worrying.

Enjoy having that one-on-one car time with your children and look at it as an opportunity to talk with each other, although you may have to make the car a “no cell-phone” zone – but explain that is what you charge for chauffeuring service.

Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I definitely believe things happen when the time’s right or don’t happen because it isn’t the right time. And I know the concept “timing’s everything” helps us make sense of things we don’t understand or when we’re disappointed that something didn’t happen.

However, I often use the idea of “timing” to help me prioritize things, and not just “bigger picture” issues but also my “to do” lists. For example, things that are high priority always seem to get done (even if in a panic at the last minute), but I’ve found that when I use the excuse “it isn’t the right time” to delay doing something (which happens more often than I like to admit), it becomes apparent what’s important to do and what can wait. And sometimes, the timing’s never right (in other words, it doesn’t need to happen at all).

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I believe that “timing is everything” because we continually encounter things that influence us and change how we think and act. And, it can apply to just about anything – business opportunities (early innovations), relationships (Right Person? Wrong Time?), places (being in the right place at the right time or not being in the wrong place at the wrong time).

A decision that may not be right for us at one point in time may be right at a different time. And, how many of us have thought, “If I only knew then what I know now”? To a great extent, timing is out of our control, but we can try to be better prepared for “when and if” the timing is right.

Red assets.rebelmouse.io

One of the best things about holiday weekends is having an extra “weekend” day, especially as most weekends are spent on personal things I can’t get done during the week, so can be just as exhausting as the week itself. But I always try (but don’t always succeed) to get some “me time” by escaping to my local AMC movie theatre, even if it’s more for the popcorn than the movie.

This year, since I have some airfare credits that will expire, I’m going to take advantage of the extra day and visit my oldest friend (from 5th grade!) who lives in New York. It’s strange being an empty-nester and taking a mini-vacation on my own. It seems like only yesterday, when my girls were much younger, that Black would take us (and her stepdaughters) to the Hyatt Hill Country in San Antonio, so I know that holiday weekends can provide lifelong memories!

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I love three-day weekends as instead of having two days when I can work uninterrupted, I have three. Some might think I need to get a life, but I have passion projects that bring me joy, so I am doing what makes me happy. And, I have a standing “appointment” at 3 p.m. every Memorial Day to observe the National Moment of Remembrance.

It is important to remember that Memorial Day weekend is more than just a holiday weekend (and the “unofficial” start to summer). Memorial Day honors the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military. A day to put aside politics and think about patriotism, and remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country.
Our thoughts about Friday the 13th have not changed (not in years, maybe decades), so we have no problem re-running this question from August 13, 2021. But it did pique Black’s curiosity about how often Friday the 13th occurs, and although this answer is from a source we’ve used before, she found this analysis fascinating. Meanwhile, Red just rolled her eyes as she’s always felt like Friday the 13th should only happen in October because it reminds her of superstitions and “spooky” things.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you're not talking about the incredibly popular Friday the 13th horror movies , which, for the record, I'm not a fan of. Not because they scare me or I dislike all the blood and gore, I'm just "old school" and prefer the classic horror movies like Bela Lugosi as Dracula and Boris Karloff as Frankenstein. Although Mel Brook's "Young Frankenstein" is a hilarious "classic" and one of my all-time favorite movies.

But I digress. I'm not superstitious, so I don't believe Friday the 13th is an unlucky day. Interestingly, our grandmother thought that the number 13 was very lucky, so Friday the 13th was a particularly good day for her. What I will say is that I've always been interested in parapsychology (keep in mind that I'm "older", so this was before all the TV shows about ghost sightings that now pose as "reality TV"), although I feel that I should draw a distinction between the scientific study of paranormal activity and a belief in superstitions.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, there is science and logic related to superstitions, and I can see how superstitions can give people a feeling of being in control, which in turn helps them cope with anxiety and uncertainty. Obviously, it is a function of whether you believe something good will happen or something bad, and ultimately it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Friday the 13th is a good example, as whether you think it is unlucky or lucky, you will look for "supporting evidence." (I find it neither, but was intrigued by how many times it happens each year and other interesting facts .)

That does not mean I do not believe in other superstitions, but I do not try to defend them. Sometimes it is a nice break from being pragmatic, and I figure there is little to lose and maybe something to gain. And I am not alone when it comes to superstitions – there are superstitious athletes, like Michael Jordan, who wore his North Carolina practice shorts under his NBA uniform for good luck, and even superstitious scientists.