No one wants to admit they're in debt. But isn't your spouse entitled to know about your finances? And if you're the President, shouldn't it be disclosed to the American public?

Normally, you shred important papers before trashing them … not expensive art after selling it.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red will admit that she's never been into art, except for the Tudor paintings section of the National Portrait Gallery in London, but that's because she loves Tudor history. And although she's been to plenty of art museums, they were more to "tick off" places on her tourist "to do" list than a genuine desire to see the art. That even includes the Mona Lisa at The Louvre in Paris! (When in Paris, Black was content to go to the Louvre-Rivoli Metro station as the platforms themselves were decorated with art replicas found inside the Louvre Museum.)

Black can't remember when she first became interested in contemporary art, although it went to a whole new level when her second husband asked her to acquire an investment-quality collection. In typical Black fashion, she not only researched the art market and worked with an art consultant, but became friends with several leading artists with whom she shared a mutual passion … cars and racing.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Take one famous actor, a brilliant billionaire, and mix in space travel. Sound like the start of a sci-fi movie or an example of how truth can be stranger than fiction?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: When Red recently learned that the actor William Shatner was going to be on board the second Blue Origin's space mission (now delayed until tomorrow due to weather), she admitted that she's more interested in history than current events, so compared it to the historic initial launch on July 20, which included 82-year-old Wally Funk. However, at 90-years-old, Shatner will become the oldest person ever to take a trip to space. (Talk about two great role models of inspiration and passion not having age limits.)

Meanwhile, at the risk of alienating (pun intended) Star Trek fans, Red's only seen a few of the movies, and Black has seen none, but we both have fond memories of watching the original TV show with our dad, who loved the show. So, we can't resist (like everyone else) quoting the opening monologue and its proclamation "to boldly go where no man has gone before."

Keep Reading ... Show less

National Handbag Day may be a new holiday (it was started in 2013 by purseblog), but people have been obsessed with handbags for centuries. The only difference is now they have an official day of celebration.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red has never been known for her clothing and accessories, and it's safe to say never will be, but that doesn't mean she hasn't admired many of Black's incredible handbags over the years. In fact, there was one particular bag (a black Hermes Birkin) that she downright coveted to the point that Black used to say that she'd leave it to her in her will, and then would pause and ask, "Does that mean I now need a food taster?" Several years later, Red's was shocked (and thrilled) when Black bought her one for her 50th birthday, and although Red doesn't use it very often (she can't get herself to take it to grocery stores or to run errands), it still makes her incredibly happy to see the big orange box in her closet.

When it comes to handbags, Black can't help but reminisce (something she typically doesn't do) about one of her marriage counseling sessions with her ex-husband, Larry. He was lamenting, "She doesn't respect my money." At which point, Black couldn't help but point out that you respect people. You respect their ability to make money. To save money. Even to spend wisely. But you don't respect "things" or money. To which her ex commented, "That's semantics, but the bottom line is you don't respect my money." To which Black nonchalantly replied, "And, you do not respect my handbags."