intro-post

WHO ARE RED & BLACK?

We’re real sisters, dealing with real life – but with very different perspectives.

Born in New York, raised in the same house by the same parents – that’s where the similarities end.

Red is the warm-and-fuzzy stay-at-home mom whose life was turned upside down when her husband was suddenly fired. Little did she know what would happen next.

Black is the pragmatic race-car-driving retired executive who pulled Red’s ostrich head out of the sand and helped get her life on track.And then Black turned her sister’s crisis into a brand, a business, and a best-selling book, What I Learned About Life When My Husband Got Fired! (What are big sisters for?!)

Why not join our community? Black may have been a bossy big sister (still is), but we’re not here to preach or pass judgment. We want to share our stories and the same actionable tips and tools that Red used to get her life back on track so you can take your life where you want to go.

FIND OUT MORE ABOUT US

Warm and fuzzy? Yes, and proud of it, too. After graduating with a degree in Theater Arts, Tina Pennington (aka “Red”) met an Englishman, fell in love, and traveled the world. His career took them everywhere, with stints in the Netherlands, England, Hong Kong, and Shanghai, until they moved to Texas in the early 2000s.

With two red-headed children, Sawyer and Natasha, and one red labradoodle, Red had the picture-perfect suburban life. That was until … her husband got fired. What had seemed like a fairy tale life soon unraveled to reveal something far from it.

Years later, it ended up having a happy ending, as Red says, “It was the best thing that ever happened to me.”

If you think today’s politics are ugly … let’s talk about a man who named himself “dictator for life” of the Roman empire, and is then assassinated by a group of senators, including his best friend. (However, there’s a “pretty” part – Cleopatra was his mistress.) Food trivia and leadership lessons aside, the fact July is named after him is the perfect excuse to rerun one of Red’s favorite Banter Bites

Quick! If someone says "Julius Caesar," what comes to mind?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Almost everyone has heard of Julius Caesar, but how many of us really know much about him, or at least that's what Red starts to wonder when she receives the usual flippant, but still accurate, reply from her sister, after feeling very proud that she knew that July was named after the famous Roman.

Keep Reading ...Show less

Pragmatic and blunt? Yes, with more than a hint of sarcasm. Unlike her sister, Mandy Williams (aka “Black”) is all business. With an MBA in International Finance from NYU and London Business School, Black was a driven executive who retired from the male-dominated oil and gas industry before she was 40. Boredom quickly set in, so she began racing Porsches, then Ferraris, and became the first woman to race the road course at Indianapolis.

Living in Texas, Black has been involved with the local chapter of the Make-A-Wish Foundation for decades and has raised over $1 million.

Black often says, “You have two choices in life – you can be the passenger along for the ride, or the driver and steer where you want to go.”